PHOENIX — A teenager drowned in a backyard pool during a birthday party Saturday night in Phoenix.
Phoenix police and firefighters were called to a home near 41st Avenue and Bethany Home Road around 10:30 p.m. after a 17-year-old girl, identified as Angeline Davis, was pulled from the bottom of the deep end of a backyard pool, Officer James Holmes said.
Davis’ 13-year-old brother was also at the party with about 20-30 other people. The brother had not seen his sister for about 15 minutes when another partygoer said he “felt something at the bottom of the pool,” Holmes said.
CPR was administered at the party, and when firefighters arrived, Davis was transported to a local hospital. She was pronounced dead just under an hour later, Holmes said.
Davis’ brother said he was unsure if his sister knew how to swim.
Firefighters said it’s critical to assign adults to track everyone going in and out of pools, especially at large parties.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night