PHOENIX — A teenager drowned in a backyard pool during a birthday party Saturday night in Phoenix.
Phoenix police and firefighters were called to a home near 41st Avenue and Bethany Home Road around 10:30 p.m. after a 17-year-old girl, identified as Angeline Davis, was pulled from the bottom of the deep end of a backyard pool, Officer James Holmes said.
Davis’ 13-year-old brother was also at the party with about 20-30 other people. The brother had not seen his sister for about 15 minutes when another partygoer said he “felt something at the bottom of the pool,” Holmes said.
CPR was administered at the party, and when firefighters arrived, Davis was transported to a local hospital. She was pronounced dead just under an hour later, Holmes said.
Davis’ brother said he was unsure if his sister knew how to swim.
Firefighters said it’s critical to assign adults to track everyone going in and out of pools, especially at large parties.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon