PHOENIX — What began as a ‘dream job’ for one Valley teacher has quickly turned into quite a horror story.
According to KPHO.com, Dr. Cicely Cobb, who began teaching at Desert Vista High School in 2012, filed a lawsuit earlier this year against the Tempe Union High School District after receiving racially insensitive tweets, videos and comments sent to her via social media from students all over campus.
“I do feel that I have been the victim of racial discrimination,” Cobb, an African-American, told KPHO.com.
According to Cobb, students have done everything from suggesting she participates in prostitution to posting photos associating her with Ku Klux Klan meetings to portraying her with blackface imagery.
But the discrimination wasn’t limited to the Internet.
Prior to the lawsuit being filed, a student posted a video to a social media site in January.
It shows another student walking up to Cobb and tapping her on the head with a laminated bathroom pass.
“These children just had no respect for me or my authority,” said Cobb.
KPHO.com attempted to get a comment from the TUHSD, but it declined to speak due to pending litigation.
However, the district has denied Cobb’s allegations.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night