PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office says the pilot of a glider plane has died in a failed takeoff in Aguila, Ariz., on Saturday afternoon.
A male pilot, identified as 61-year-old Robert Knauff, was being towed by a powered airplane to reach a proper gliding altitude when the tow rope became disconnected, according to MCSO officer Christopher Hegstrom.
After that point, it appears the pilot attempted a sharp turn and the plane stalled and then nosedived to the ground, Hegstrom said.
The crash happened about 50 yards from an airport, and Hegstrom said MCSO is still investigating what caused the cable to become disconnected while Knauff was about 100 feet in the air.
There were no other injuries. It was now known how many people were on board the airplane towing the glider.
Hegstrom said the area is popular with air gliders.
Hegstrom added that Knauff, who died at the scene, was a former commander of the New York Air National Guard and the registered owner of the aircraft.
Knauff assumed command of the Syracuse-based 174th Fighter Wing in 1996 and was
commander of the New York Air Guard from 2005 until his retirement from the
military in 2009.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy