PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office says the pilot of a glider plane has died in a failed takeoff in Aguila, Ariz., on Saturday afternoon.
A male pilot, identified as 61-year-old Robert Knauff, was being towed by a powered airplane to reach a proper gliding altitude when the tow rope became disconnected, according to MCSO officer Christopher Hegstrom.
After that point, it appears the pilot attempted a sharp turn and the plane stalled and then nosedived to the ground, Hegstrom said.
The crash happened about 50 yards from an airport, and Hegstrom said MCSO is still investigating what caused the cable to become disconnected while Knauff was about 100 feet in the air.
There were no other injuries. It was now known how many people were on board the airplane towing the glider.
Hegstrom said the area is popular with air gliders.
Hegstrom added that Knauff, who died at the scene, was a former commander of the New York Air National Guard and the registered owner of the aircraft.
Knauff assumed command of the Syracuse-based 174th Fighter Wing in 1996 and was
commander of the New York Air Guard from 2005 until his retirement from the
military in 2009.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night