PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office says the pilot of a glider plane has died in a failed takeoff in Aguila, Ariz., on Saturday afternoon.
A male pilot, identified as 61-year-old Robert Knauff, was being towed by a powered airplane to reach a proper gliding altitude when the tow rope became disconnected, according to MCSO officer Christopher Hegstrom.
After that point, it appears the pilot attempted a sharp turn and the plane stalled and then nosedived to the ground, Hegstrom said.
The crash happened about 50 yards from an airport, and Hegstrom said MCSO is still investigating what caused the cable to become disconnected while Knauff was about 100 feet in the air.
There were no other injuries. It was now known how many people were on board the airplane towing the glider.
Hegstrom said the area is popular with air gliders.
Hegstrom added that Knauff, who died at the scene, was a former commander of the New York Air National Guard and the registered owner of the aircraft.
Knauff assumed command of the Syracuse-based 174th Fighter Wing in 1996 and was
commander of the New York Air Guard from 2005 until his retirement from the
military in 2009.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America