PHOENIX — Political website Real Clear Politics says there are many similarities between the races for Arizona’s next governor and the nation’s next president.
Among them, Arizona boasts a heavy Republican field with eight candidates and, so far, only one Democrat. That mirrors what is expected in 2016 in the presidential race.
Hillary Rodham Clinton is considered the front-runner on the Democratic side — even though she hasn’t announced her candidacy yet — while several Republicans have hinted that they will run for president.
Valley political expert Stan Barnes of Copper State Consulting Group said he too sees the similarities because Arizona is beginning to look like the rest of the country.
“Arizona is a center-right state that tips to the right, which is the way the rest of the country is,” Barnes said.
Barnes also said Arizona’s issues reflect those of the country, many of which will take center stage in 2016.
“Immigration, education, gun rights and the economy,” he said. “Don’t forget the role of President Obama in recent American governance. That will be an issue in Arizona and nationally as well.”
Barnes said the Hispanic component of the electorate is the “new dynamic,” and that it shouldn’t be new, but it is — and it’s starting to influence elections, and Republicans are onto that.
“In Arizona, you’ll see particular attention to Hispanic issues. But you probably won’t see it until November’s general election,” Barnes said. “Republicans will probably put that at the end of their list during the primary (election) as they focus on more key Republican baseline issues: The economy, the level of governance. The Republicans can’t ignore the demographic changes happening around them. On the national level, they’re certainly not, and Arizona will probably be a little bit behind that curve.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon