PHOENIX — Political website Real Clear Politics says there are many similarities between the races for Arizona’s next governor and the nation’s next president.
Among them, Arizona boasts a heavy Republican field with eight candidates and, so far, only one Democrat. That mirrors what is expected in 2016 in the presidential race.
Hillary Rodham Clinton is considered the front-runner on the Democratic side — even though she hasn’t announced her candidacy yet — while several Republicans have hinted that they will run for president.
Valley political expert Stan Barnes of Copper State Consulting Group said he too sees the similarities because Arizona is beginning to look like the rest of the country.
“Arizona is a center-right state that tips to the right, which is the way the rest of the country is,” Barnes said.
Barnes also said Arizona’s issues reflect those of the country, many of which will take center stage in 2016.
“Immigration, education, gun rights and the economy,” he said. “Don’t forget the role of President Obama in recent American governance. That will be an issue in Arizona and nationally as well.”
Barnes said the Hispanic component of the electorate is the “new dynamic,” and that it shouldn’t be new, but it is — and it’s starting to influence elections, and Republicans are onto that.
“In Arizona, you’ll see particular attention to Hispanic issues. But you probably won’t see it until November’s general election,” Barnes said. “Republicans will probably put that at the end of their list during the primary (election) as they focus on more key Republican baseline issues: The economy, the level of governance. The Republicans can’t ignore the demographic changes happening around them. On the national level, they’re certainly not, and Arizona will probably be a little bit behind that curve.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns