PHOENIX — With the weather warming up in the Valley, the Phoenix Rescue Mission has started its annual Code Red Heat Relief Campaign.
The mission is sending out its “Hope Coach” van to give water and meals to the homeless, and to encourage them to come to its southwest Phoenix location for some shelter and spiritual guidance.
Many of the people that Chaplain Clifford Danley comes in contact with as he drives the van are drug addicts, he said. Danley added that he can relate to them because he’s a recovering meth addict himself.
Most of the homeless people Danley encounters are just a short distance away from the mission near 35th Avenue and Durango Street, he said.
But it’s not unusual for the Hope Coach to go to other Valley locations.
“It goes where it needs to go,” said Danley. “I’ve received calls from up in the (Piestewa) Peak area for individuals that are wondering around and look like they could use some help. I’ve been all of the way up into the Cave Creek area to go rescue people.”
Danley said he is concerned about a trend he’s seeing with in Valley’s homeless population.
“There is just more (homeless),” Danley said. “It’s the younger crowd. I’m also seeing an increase in women, and occasionally more families.”
Right now, the mission is available only for men to spend the night, but that is about to change, the chaplain said. Danley said the mission is adding women’s showers, and that plans being made for a shelter for homeless women.
The Phoenix Rescue Mission is looking for donations of food, water, money and other items. Click here to find out more.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.