PHOENIX — With the weather warming up in the Valley, the Phoenix Rescue Mission has started its annual Code Red Heat Relief Campaign.
The mission is sending out its “Hope Coach” van to give water and meals to the homeless, and to encourage them to come to its southwest Phoenix location for some shelter and spiritual guidance.
Many of the people that Chaplain Clifford Danley comes in contact with as he drives the van are drug addicts, he said. Danley added that he can relate to them because he’s a recovering meth addict himself.
Most of the homeless people Danley encounters are just a short distance away from the mission near 35th Avenue and Durango Street, he said.
But it’s not unusual for the Hope Coach to go to other Valley locations.
“It goes where it needs to go,” said Danley. “I’ve received calls from up in the (Piestewa) Peak area for individuals that are wondering around and look like they could use some help. I’ve been all of the way up into the Cave Creek area to go rescue people.”
Danley said he is concerned about a trend he’s seeing with in Valley’s homeless population.
“There is just more (homeless),” Danley said. “It’s the younger crowd. I’m also seeing an increase in women, and occasionally more families.”
Right now, the mission is available only for men to spend the night, but that is about to change, the chaplain said. Danley said the mission is adding women’s showers, and that plans being made for a shelter for homeless women.
The Phoenix Rescue Mission is looking for donations of food, water, money and other items. Click here to find out more.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development