PHOENIX — Saturday may be the day for you to grab a new comic book.
That’s because comic stores everywhere will be giving them away for free during national Free Comic Book Day.
It’s the day that comic retailers try to attract new fans to heroes like Superman, or to newer comic books like “The Walking Dead.”
Yvette Arteaga, a manger for Samurai Comics in Phoenix, called it the “Fun Black Friday” for comic retailers.
“They’ll make a huge event where they’ll bring in creators, artists, face painters,” she said. “It just becomes a huge party.”
Samurai has three stores in the valley. Arteaga said her store on Camelback Road will have lots of giveaways. The location in Mesa is also planning some special things.
“They’re actually doing this thing called ACME-con, so they’re actually doing a convention on the same day as Free Comic Book Day,” she said.
Arteaga said she already expected a busy weekend in her store because of this weekend’s release of the new movie “The Amazing Spider-Man 2.”
She said that children and other people who may not usually be exposed to comic books want to give them a try after seeing a superhero movie.
“They want to know about Hulk. They want to know about Batman. They want to know about Spiderman,” Arteaga said.
Other Valley stores are planning special events for Free Comic Book Day. One of them is Jesse James Comics and Collectibles in Glendale, which is planning giveaways for 72 hours instead of just one day.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier