PHOENIX — Saturday may be the day for you to grab a new comic book.
That’s because comic stores everywhere will be giving them away for free during national Free Comic Book Day.
It’s the day that comic retailers try to attract new fans to heroes like Superman, or to newer comic books like “The Walking Dead.”
Yvette Arteaga, a manger for Samurai Comics in Phoenix, called it the “Fun Black Friday” for comic retailers.
“They’ll make a huge event where they’ll bring in creators, artists, face painters,” she said. “It just becomes a huge party.”
Samurai has three stores in the valley. Arteaga said her store on Camelback Road will have lots of giveaways. The location in Mesa is also planning some special things.
“They’re actually doing this thing called ACME-con, so they’re actually doing a convention on the same day as Free Comic Book Day,” she said.
Arteaga said she already expected a busy weekend in her store because of this weekend’s release of the new movie “The Amazing Spider-Man 2.”
She said that children and other people who may not usually be exposed to comic books want to give them a try after seeing a superhero movie.
“They want to know about Hulk. They want to know about Batman. They want to know about Spiderman,” Arteaga said.
Other Valley stores are planning special events for Free Comic Book Day. One of them is Jesse James Comics and Collectibles in Glendale, which is planning giveaways for 72 hours instead of just one day.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night