PHOENIX — Saturday may be the day for you to grab a new comic book.
That’s because comic stores everywhere will be giving them away for free during national Free Comic Book Day.
It’s the day that comic retailers try to attract new fans to heroes like Superman, or to newer comic books like “The Walking Dead.”
Yvette Arteaga, a manger for Samurai Comics in Phoenix, called it the “Fun Black Friday” for comic retailers.
“They’ll make a huge event where they’ll bring in creators, artists, face painters,” she said. “It just becomes a huge party.”
Samurai has three stores in the valley. Arteaga said her store on Camelback Road will have lots of giveaways. The location in Mesa is also planning some special things.
“They’re actually doing this thing called ACME-con, so they’re actually doing a convention on the same day as Free Comic Book Day,” she said.
Arteaga said she already expected a busy weekend in her store because of this weekend’s release of the new movie “The Amazing Spider-Man 2.”
She said that children and other people who may not usually be exposed to comic books want to give them a try after seeing a superhero movie.
“They want to know about Hulk. They want to know about Batman. They want to know about Spiderman,” Arteaga said.
Other Valley stores are planning special events for Free Comic Book Day. One of them is Jesse James Comics and Collectibles in Glendale, which is planning giveaways for 72 hours instead of just one day.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon