PHOENIX — Construction began Thursday in downtown Mesa for the light rail extension project, and that has Valley Metro working to help the businesses along the line that may be affected.
Valley Metro spokeswoman Susan Tierney said construction in the area will last for the next 10 to 12 months along Main Street, which could have an effect on the foot traffic for some of the businesses along the line.
In an effort to alleviate some of the inconveniences the construction might have on the local businesses, Valley Metro has been providing some support.
“We have staff that are dedicated to working with the businesses,” Tierney said. “They offer all kinds of business assistance (such as) marketing, some promotional strategies, some business locator signs.”
She said they’ve even helped provide vouchers for breaks on some of the businesses’ utilities.
After the construction is finished there will be a testing phase before the rail will begin public transportation, but Tierney said it will only be a matter of time until the businesses on Main Street have access to the 46,000 daily riders and more.
“We’ll be adding 5,000 additional daily riders when the central Mesa begins operation,” she said.
The line is expected to be open to the public in late 2015.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food