PHOENIX — Eighteen years after a man was shot to death inside his business, Phoenix police have finally made an arrest.
Dean Babbitt, 69, is now charged with premeditated first-degree murder in the death of his business partner, Robert Krahn.
Krahn was found dead from a single gunshot wound to the head on Feb. 3, 1996. Detective Clark Schwartzkopf said Babbitt reported the death and had been a suspect right from the start.
“He’s always been a strong investigative lead,” said Schwartzkopf. “The investigators at that time didn’t believe that they had enough evidence to prosecute him.”
Thanks to today’s technology, that changed.
“Over the last several months, we’ve been able to tie some loose ends together on the case,” Schwartzkopf said. “Through forensic imagery, re-looking at the crime scene, doing interviews and re-interviewing people, we believe we’ve gone through that threshold (that we have enough to prosecute).”
He would not talk about any of the evidence in the case.
Krahn’s father, Robert Krahn Sr., was emotional when he heard the good news but said it didn’t take away the pain of losing his son.
“I still remember when my daughter said on the phone, ‘Bob is dead,'” Krahn said. “Nobody should lose their kids.”
Schwartzkopf said that the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office has agreed to go ahead with the prosecution, and police are confident of a conviction.
Schwartzkopf said that he hopes the arrest gives Krahn’s family some well-deserved closure.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick