PHOENIX — Eighteen years after a man was shot to death inside his business, Phoenix police have finally made an arrest.
Dean Babbitt, 69, is now charged with premeditated first-degree murder in the death of his business partner, Robert Krahn.
Krahn was found dead from a single gunshot wound to the head on Feb. 3, 1996. Detective Clark Schwartzkopf said Babbitt reported the death and had been a suspect right from the start.
“He’s always been a strong investigative lead,” said Schwartzkopf. “The investigators at that time didn’t believe that they had enough evidence to prosecute him.”
Thanks to today’s technology, that changed.
“Over the last several months, we’ve been able to tie some loose ends together on the case,” Schwartzkopf said. “Through forensic imagery, re-looking at the crime scene, doing interviews and re-interviewing people, we believe we’ve gone through that threshold (that we have enough to prosecute).”
He would not talk about any of the evidence in the case.
Krahn’s father, Robert Krahn Sr., was emotional when he heard the good news but said it didn’t take away the pain of losing his son.
“I still remember when my daughter said on the phone, ‘Bob is dead,'” Krahn said. “Nobody should lose their kids.”
Schwartzkopf said that the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office has agreed to go ahead with the prosecution, and police are confident of a conviction.
Schwartzkopf said that he hopes the arrest gives Krahn’s family some well-deserved closure.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development