PHOENIX — Eighteen years after a man was shot to death inside his business, Phoenix police have finally made an arrest.
Dean Babbitt, 69, is now charged with premeditated first-degree murder in the death of his business partner, Robert Krahn.
Krahn was found dead from a single gunshot wound to the head on Feb. 3, 1996. Detective Clark Schwartzkopf said Babbitt reported the death and had been a suspect right from the start.
“He’s always been a strong investigative lead,” said Schwartzkopf. “The investigators at that time didn’t believe that they had enough evidence to prosecute him.”
Thanks to today’s technology, that changed.
“Over the last several months, we’ve been able to tie some loose ends together on the case,” Schwartzkopf said. “Through forensic imagery, re-looking at the crime scene, doing interviews and re-interviewing people, we believe we’ve gone through that threshold (that we have enough to prosecute).”
He would not talk about any of the evidence in the case.
Krahn’s father, Robert Krahn Sr., was emotional when he heard the good news but said it didn’t take away the pain of losing his son.
“I still remember when my daughter said on the phone, ‘Bob is dead,'” Krahn said. “Nobody should lose their kids.”
Schwartzkopf said that the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office has agreed to go ahead with the prosecution, and police are confident of a conviction.
Schwartzkopf said that he hopes the arrest gives Krahn’s family some well-deserved closure.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns