PHOENIX — The Arizona driver’s license is getting a makeover along with a tweak to the issuing process, it was announced Thursday.
The motor vehicle division of the Arizona Department of Transportation said the revisions were a security measure and take effect in June.
“The redesigned credential contains enhanced security features to safeguard personal information and help prevent identity theft,” said Stacey Stanton, director of the state’s Motor Vehicle Division.
Drivers seeking new licenses or identification cards will be given a temporary and the permanent version will be mailed. It should arrive in about two weeks. Current licenses won’t have to be replaced until they expire unless the holder has changed addresses or names.
Previously, driver’s licenses were issued on-site the day the application was filed.
Cosmetic changes to the card include a lighter background, a secondary portrait of the driver, and the addition of the state mammal, the ringtail in the illustration.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America