PHOENIX — The Arizona driver’s license is getting a makeover along with a tweak to the issuing process, it was announced Thursday.
The motor vehicle division of the Arizona Department of Transportation said the revisions were a security measure and take effect in June.
“The redesigned credential contains enhanced security features to safeguard personal information and help prevent identity theft,” said Stacey Stanton, director of the state’s Motor Vehicle Division.
Drivers seeking new licenses or identification cards will be given a temporary and the permanent version will be mailed. It should arrive in about two weeks. Current licenses won’t have to be replaced until they expire unless the holder has changed addresses or names.
Previously, driver’s licenses were issued on-site the day the application was filed.
Cosmetic changes to the card include a lighter background, a secondary portrait of the driver, and the addition of the state mammal, the ringtail in the illustration.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them