PHOENIX — The minimum wage in Arizona would have to double in order for one person to afford a modest one-bedroom in the Valley.
Using data from the National Low Income Housing Coalition, the Washington Post assembled a chart detailing how high the minimum wage would need to be — in every county in every state — in order for one person to live in a one-bedroom rental.
The current minimum wage for the entire state of Arizona is $7.90. According to the data, that amount would literally have to double to $14.88 in order for someone to reasonably afford just a single bedroom. Pinal County would also need to be the same amount, but Coconino County, in northern Arizona, would need to increase to $15.69.
The data does not go so far, however, as to account for those who “(find) housing by renting a room in someone else’s home, (live) in the cheapest part of town or (work) considerably more than 40 hours a week.”
Not surprisingly, the data indicates that coastal and urban cities are among the most expensive.
The entire Boston-New York-Washington corridor includes little respite from high housing wages. Marin, San Francisco and San Mateo counties in California rank as the least affordable in the country.
To be more specific, to afford single-bedroom housing in each of those counties, one would need to make $29.83 per hour, work 3.7 full-time jobs at the actual minimum wage or make a salary of $62,000.
Looking for more affordable housing? Thirty counties in Arkansas tied for the least expensive housing wage at $7.98 an hour.
For an interactive version, click here.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.