PHOENIX — After evading questions from CNN since at least last week, the director of the Phoenix VA finally sat down with “Anderson Cooper 360”.
In an exclusive segment that aired Wednesday, Senior Investigative Reporter Drew Griffin sat down with Phoenix VA Health Care System Director Sharon Helman and her medical chief of staff, Dr. Darren Deering.
Helman said they have asked the Office of Inspector General to conduct their own, unbiased investigation — an investigation that may have been in the early stages late last year.
During the interview, Helman admitted to answering questions from the IG’s office back in December but insisted she was not told what the inquiry was concerning.
Helman and Deering also said the allegations of “secret” waiting lists and shredding paper documents from when veterans were first seen by a physician stem from the staff’s confusion over practices.
When he and Helman became the leadership team back in 2012, Deering said it was common practice to schedule new veterans months in the future. Those new patients were then put on an electronic waiting list — first implemented by him and Helman — and if another veteran cancelled his or her appointment, a veteran was supposed to be pulled off the electronic waiting list to take the now-vacant appointment slot.
“It actually improved the probability of these veterans getting an appointment sooner,” Deering explained. “I think there were some folks who did not understand that, and I think that’s where these allegations are coming from.”
And as for the accusations that 40 veterans died “because of” Helman and Deering, Deering said it was unrelated, and essentially, just par for the course.
“In the course of healthcare delivery, we have patients who, unfortunately, pass away,” Deering said. “We have found veterans on the list who have died, but we have not been able to connect their deaths to the delay in getting their care.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets