PHOENIX — Several Arizona police agencies will be carrying the Special Olympics torch through the Valley Thursday.
They are all part of the statewide Arizona Law Enforcement Torch Run that started in Kingman on Sunday. The torch has been carried by the Department of Public Safety, Lake Havasu Police, La Paz County Sheriffs and the Colorado River Indian Tribe.
— Tucson Police Dept (@Tucson_Police) April 30, 2014
On Wednesday morning, the torch made its way from a truck stop west of the Valley to the Buckeye Post Office by the afternoon. From that point is where Buckeye police officers will get the torch and resume the run Thursday morning.
The torch will then be carried by police departments in several Valley cities before winding up at Dobson Road and Southern Avenue Thursday afternoon.
The torch run is designed to bring attention to the Special Olympics and how the organization helps improve the lives of people with disabilities.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier