PHOENIX — Thousands of people in the Valley own summer homes in the high country and property insurers are telling people to update their coverage as soon as possible.
John Kennedy with Allstate said homeowners need to cover the current costs of rebuilding. Concrete, wood and other building materials get more expensive with each passing year, and he urged residents to meet with their insurance agent soon.
“Most property reviews take about 5 to 10 minutes, if they’re done properly,” Kennedy said. “People get caught up in the mindset that it’s never going to happen to (them). If you live in a wooded area, you need to take preventative measures.”
Nicole Ganley with Property Casualty Insurers Association of America said homeowners can take steps to protect their homes before the sparks fly.
“Arizona has very competitive homeowners insurance rates,” she said. “For about $60 a month, you can cover that home with insurance.
She also advised homeowners to make cosmetic changes to their property.
“Clear debris around the home — about 100 feet of defensible space,” Ganley said. “Trim trees and get stacked wood away from the home.”
Ganley said renters should also prepare by considering renters insurance and also doing home inventories.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.