PHOENIX — On Wednesday, the nation’s head of veteran health services told lawmakers a preliminary review found no evidence to support recent allegations of corruption and unnecessary deaths at the agency’s hospital in Phoenix.
However, Sen. Jeff Flake said the VA’s review may not be accurate or unbiased.
“That statement is unfortunate and very premature,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Wednesday. “The Inspector General is conducting an investigation right now. They have not issued a preliminary report.”
Flake added the review was conducted internally by the VA, meaning the agency would have had to reveal its own shortcomings, should there be any.
“To imply that they’re given an all clear is just wrong,” he said.
While Congress is not prejudging the VA before receiving the pending independent Inspector General investigation, Flake said “heads will roll” if the allegations of severe delays in care are true.
“These problems seem to by systemic,” he said. “We’ve got problems in Florida and Georgia…These wait times are big problems and we just don’t have the resources and even when they are given the resources, we see these problems.”
Flake said Congress has done what has been needed to keep the VA well-supplied.
“We’ve certainly worked hard to make that they were adequately resourced to deal with the population that shows up,” he said, adding Phoenix VA Health Care System Director Sharon Helman informed him her agency had enough resources.
The Inspector General’s investigation will speak with whistleblowers, doctors and patients at the VA. The agency has also been ordered to not move or destroy possible evidence. Flake said he will be confident in the independent study’s findings.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy