PHOENIX — On Wednesday, the nation’s head of veteran health services told lawmakers a preliminary review found no evidence to support recent allegations of corruption and unnecessary deaths at the agency’s hospital in Phoenix.
However, Sen. Jeff Flake said the VA’s review may not be accurate or unbiased.
“That statement is unfortunate and very premature,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Wednesday. “The Inspector General is conducting an investigation right now. They have not issued a preliminary report.”
Flake added the review was conducted internally by the VA, meaning the agency would have had to reveal its own shortcomings, should there be any.
“To imply that they’re given an all clear is just wrong,” he said.
While Congress is not prejudging the VA before receiving the pending independent Inspector General investigation, Flake said “heads will roll” if the allegations of severe delays in care are true.
“These problems seem to by systemic,” he said. “We’ve got problems in Florida and Georgia…These wait times are big problems and we just don’t have the resources and even when they are given the resources, we see these problems.”
Flake said Congress has done what has been needed to keep the VA well-supplied.
“We’ve certainly worked hard to make that they were adequately resourced to deal with the population that shows up,” he said, adding Phoenix VA Health Care System Director Sharon Helman informed him her agency had enough resources.
The Inspector General’s investigation will speak with whistleblowers, doctors and patients at the VA. The agency has also been ordered to not move or destroy possible evidence. Flake said he will be confident in the independent study’s findings.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America