PHOENIX — A Gilbert, Ariz. woman was sentenced to life in prison Wednesday for the 2009 murder of her husband.
The jury sentenced Marissa Devault, 36, after about three days of deliberation. Formal sentencing is set for June 6.
The jury has reached the following verdict in State v Devault – Life
— MC Superior Court (@courtpio) April 30, 2014
Devault was found guilty of murdering her husband, Dale Harrell, on April 8. Prosecutors say Devault killed Harrell while he slept in a failed bid to collect on a life insurance policy to repay more than $300,000 in loans from her boyfriend.
Devault says she killed Harrell in self-defense and claims he had physically and sexually abused her in the past.
Harrell died nearly a month after the attack.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development