PHOENIX — A Gilbert, Ariz. woman was sentenced to life in prison Wednesday for the 2009 murder of her husband.
The jury sentenced Marissa Devault, 36, after about three days of deliberation. Formal sentencing is set for June 6.
The jury has reached the following verdict in State v Devault – Life
— MC Superior Court (@courtpio) April 30, 2014
Devault was found guilty of murdering her husband, Dale Harrell, on April 8. Prosecutors say Devault killed Harrell while he slept in a failed bid to collect on a life insurance policy to repay more than $300,000 in loans from her boyfriend.
Devault says she killed Harrell in self-defense and claims he had physically and sexually abused her in the past.
Harrell died nearly a month after the attack.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.