PHOENIX — A Mesa, Ariz. entrepreneur is in Washington, D.C. to talk with lawmakers about helping small business compete online.
Chris Ko is the owner of Nationwide Surplus, an online retailer that sells refurbished electronics primarily on eBay. He will be meeting with members of Congress this week.
“We hope to talk with them, as well as I believe Rep. (Kyrsten) Sinema’s office, and talk with them a little bit about how they can make an impact for Arizona businesses,” said Ko.
With the ability for nearly anyone to sell products online around the country, Ko said the current sales tax system is making it difficult for small online retailers to keep up with the various sale taxes jurisdictions around the country.
“There’s currently a bill out there that could potentially affect the small businesses of Arizona by having them have to remit to over 9,600 (sales tax) jurisdictions,” Ko said. “Where that may be OK for the big boys like a Walmart or a Best Buy, but for small businesses I’m lucky if I’m able to make sure that I can keep track of all the payroll and all the regular bills, let alone having to remit to 9,600 jurisdictions.”
Ko said he wants to make an impression on the congressional members and give them a sense of what it is like for small business trying to sell online.
“Talk to them and just give them some general insight on where small businesses stand right now and how we’re doing in Arizona,” he said. “And hopefully from that we can learn a little bit more about what they’re thinking, on their policies … and the policies that they can do to help continue to grow our business.”
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl