A 2-year-old boy taken from his home in Coolidge was found safe early Wednesday morning, canceling an overnight Amber Alert.
Eric Warrior Smith Jr. was found inside a parked minivan about 50 miles from home at the Gila River Indian Community. A police helicopter spotted the vehicle, which had been abandoned. Gila River Police suspect the boy was taken by his sitter, 19-year-old Anna Marie Johnson, who not been found.
The alert for the boy had been sent out just before midnight Tuesday and lasted about five hours, but the boy had.
“That’s my boy, that’s my warrior, he’s in good health,” said a relieved, tearful Eric W. Smith, the boy’s father. The toddler was taken to a hospital as a precaution.
Smith told police he came home about 4 p.m. after an appointment to an empty house. When he realized the family’s van also was missing, he went to a nearby park to look for the boy and the sitter. He searched for about two hours before flagging down police.
Johnson is 5 feet 11 and 180 pounds.
Anybody with information is asked to call 520-562-4511.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.