TEMPE, Ariz. — People in Tempe will talk Wednesday about legal immigrants who aren’t U.S. citizens but join the American military anyway.
Immigrants with Green Cards who enter the military in an attempt to start becoming U.S. citizens is nothing new.
“This is the pathway to arriving in the United States that many people have taken for centuries,” said Steven Borden, a retired U.S. Navy officer who is now the Director of the Pat Tillman Veterans Center at Arizona State University.
ASU will host a conference Wednesday aimed at raising awareness of immigrants in the American military. Many of them go the military route, even though they’re restricted from doing some military jobs, because they aren’t U.S. citizens. Despite that, Borden said “the prospect of coming to the United States and becoming a U.S. citizen is better in their mind than the prospect of staying in their homeland.”
Borden advised immigrants to start working on trying to become a citizen while they’re still in the military.
“Too often, we get caught up with the hectic pace of the operation we’re doing or what’s going on in the military,” he said. “We say we’re going to get to that (trying to become a citizen), but we put it kind of put it on the back burner. My advice to them would be to do it quickly.”
Many of the military members fail to become citizens and are deported after serving this country.
The conference is from 9 a.m. to noon in ASU’s Memorial Union, Room 207. It’s open to the public, but registration is required. For more information, click here.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets