TEMPE, Ariz. — People in Tempe will talk Wednesday about legal immigrants who aren’t U.S. citizens but join the American military anyway.
Immigrants with Green Cards who enter the military in an attempt to start becoming U.S. citizens is nothing new.
“This is the pathway to arriving in the United States that many people have taken for centuries,” said Steven Borden, a retired U.S. Navy officer who is now the Director of the Pat Tillman Veterans Center at Arizona State University.
ASU will host a conference Wednesday aimed at raising awareness of immigrants in the American military. Many of them go the military route, even though they’re restricted from doing some military jobs, because they aren’t U.S. citizens. Despite that, Borden said “the prospect of coming to the United States and becoming a U.S. citizen is better in their mind than the prospect of staying in their homeland.”
Borden advised immigrants to start working on trying to become a citizen while they’re still in the military.
“Too often, we get caught up with the hectic pace of the operation we’re doing or what’s going on in the military,” he said. “We say we’re going to get to that (trying to become a citizen), but we put it kind of put it on the back burner. My advice to them would be to do it quickly.”
Many of the military members fail to become citizens and are deported after serving this country.
The conference is from 9 a.m. to noon in ASU’s Memorial Union, Room 207. It’s open to the public, but registration is required. For more information, click here.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas