PHOENIX — Nearly everyone seems to have an opinion on the “Sterling Gate,” but perhaps few are more apt to speak on the outcome than former Phoenix Suns owner Jerry Colangelo.
“He (Adam Silver) put the hammer down and made a real mark for himself early in his new role as commissioner of the NBA and I think he used everything available to him,” Colangelo told News/Talk 92.3’s Mac & Gaydos Tuesday. “I think it was a great time for him.”
A “great time” that seems to have gotten the NBA players and much of the public on the new NBA commissioner’s side.
“Not only was Adam Silver the commissioner of the NBA (in Tuesday’s press conference), he was the player’s commissioner, also. That was huge. I never heard that before,” Colangelo said.
Silver banned Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling from all games and practices “for life” and fined him the maximum penalty of $2.5 million. He also encouraged the NBA to remove Sterling as the team owner.
It’s pretty common knowledge that the NBA has a vetting process for prospective owners, complete with a criminal background check and a litigation history. With Sterling’s purchase of the Clippers way back in the early ’80s, many are asking how it got this far to begin with.
“I don’t remember how well the betting was back in those days; I really don’t,” Colangelo explained. “And let’s give everyone the benefit of the doubt — maybe in 1983 or ’82, you wouldn’t have found very much, going back that far.”
But Sterling’s recent racist remarks are not necessarily “new,” as stories of Sterling’s unsavory attitudes toward minorities have been circulating for years.
“Now, in terms of someone’s track record over a period of time…people are entitled to make a mistake and if they ask for forgiveness, you can forgive them,” Colangelo said. “But if there’s a series of things that happen, then you have a pretty good idea who that person is or isn’t.”
And as for the comments made by Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban?
“Well, would you rather avoid a slippery slope or do what’s right, morally?” Colangelo asked. “That’s what I think Adam Silver did today.”
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema: ‘It’s my job’ to attend Trump inauguration
- Arizona. Gov. Doug Ducey to push for teacher raises in upcoming months
- Gov. Doug Ducey: I approve of border wall ‘as long as it benefits Arizona’
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio