PHOENIX — Nearly everyone seems to have an opinion on the “Sterling Gate,” but perhaps few are more apt to speak on the outcome than former Phoenix Suns owner Jerry Colangelo.
“He (Adam Silver) put the hammer down and made a real mark for himself early in his new role as commissioner of the NBA and I think he used everything available to him,” Colangelo told News/Talk 92.3’s Mac & Gaydos Tuesday. “I think it was a great time for him.”
A “great time” that seems to have gotten the NBA players and much of the public on the new NBA commissioner’s side.
“Not only was Adam Silver the commissioner of the NBA (in Tuesday’s press conference), he was the player’s commissioner, also. That was huge. I never heard that before,” Colangelo said.
Silver banned Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling from all games and practices “for life” and fined him the maximum penalty of $2.5 million. He also encouraged the NBA to remove Sterling as the team owner.
It’s pretty common knowledge that the NBA has a vetting process for prospective owners, complete with a criminal background check and a litigation history. With Sterling’s purchase of the Clippers way back in the early ’80s, many are asking how it got this far to begin with.
“I don’t remember how well the betting was back in those days; I really don’t,” Colangelo explained. “And let’s give everyone the benefit of the doubt — maybe in 1983 or ’82, you wouldn’t have found very much, going back that far.”
But Sterling’s recent racist remarks are not necessarily “new,” as stories of Sterling’s unsavory attitudes toward minorities have been circulating for years.
“Now, in terms of someone’s track record over a period of time…people are entitled to make a mistake and if they ask for forgiveness, you can forgive them,” Colangelo said. “But if there’s a series of things that happen, then you have a pretty good idea who that person is or isn’t.”
And as for the comments made by Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban?
“Well, would you rather avoid a slippery slope or do what’s right, morally?” Colangelo asked. “That’s what I think Adam Silver did today.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident