PHOENIX — A Scottsdale high school student’s artwork has claimed a spot in the national Doodle 4 Google contest.
Tracy Zhang, a 15-year-old who attends Desert Mountain High, created “Natural Light-Powered Flying Car” for the seventh-annual competition. The ninth-grader won the eighth-through-ninth grades group and is the only Arizonan in the contest. The other school divisions are K-3, 4-5, 6-7 and 10-12.
“I’m so excited and honored,” said Zhang. “My design…runs on natural light. It will help with traffic congestion, help with pollution and people could be free to explore.”
The theme of the entries is “If I could invent one thing to make the world a better place.” More than 100,000 drawings were submitted.
Voting is taking place online Tuesday through May 9 to choose the five finalists, one from each division. The winner will be announced May 21 at company headquarters in California. Each of the state winners has been invited.
The winner’s design will be featured on the search engine’s homepage, plus he or she will earn a college scholarship worth $30,000. The winner’s school will gain a $50,000 grant to be spent on a computer lab or a tech program.
Valley students have won at the state level of the contest for three straight years.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths