LAS VEGAS (AP) — A 22-year-old Arizona woman apologized to a Nevada judge, then expressed surprise at the eight-to-20 year prison sentence she received for shooting a motorist in the neck during a Christmas week traffic dispute on the Las Vegas Strip.
The Las Vegas Sun reported that Brittanie Merritt-Burwell’s jaw dropped Monday in apparent disbelief when she got the maximum sentence.
The Glendale woman pleaded guilty in February to attempted murder in the late Dec. 23 shooting. Prosecutors dropped charges stemming from several robberies before the shooting.
The 29-year-old man who Merritt-Burwell shot wasn’t in court for sentencing. Prosecutor Megan Thompson says he’s recovering.
Merritt-Burwell is from Glendale, Ariz.
Her 28-year-old boyfriend, Joshua Youngblood, faces trial May 12 on a concealed weapon charge that could get him one to five years in prison.
Information from: Las Vegas Sun, http://www.lasvegassun.com
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.