PHOENIX — Thanks in large part to Arizona Public Service and Strategic Solar Energy, anyone on the Arizona State University campus can now enjoy Mother Nature, regardless of the temperature outside.
The two newest PowerParasol solar structures provide shade for people and sunlight for plants, as well as unique lighting and security features, while producing clean renewable energy.
The structures are located near a prominent parking entrance to the Gammage Auditorium, as well as over Pedestrian Mall near Cady Fountain and the Memorial Union.
PowerParasol President Bob Boscamp is thrilled with the project.
“I went to school (there) a long time ago, and nothing had changed in that mall,” he said. “No one would ever sit in the mall, unless you were sitting in the fountain hanging your feet in to cool off, and then as soon as you got out, you’d race to go inside the M.U. to get the air conditioning.”
He said these new structures provide a venue for students to entertain themselves or hold gatherings before or after events at Gammage. Some even feel it’s an ideal place to conduct higher education.
“Some of the professors are already talking about holding class out under the PowerParasol, adjacent to the music school and College of Education,” said Boscamp.
The 25-foot-high structures are higher than a traditional carport or canopy solar installation. Construction elements include advertising and promotional signage opportunities.
The first PowerParasol structure was constructed in Lot 59 near Sun Devil Stadium. Fans use that area to tailgate before and after games, and students use it for shaded parking.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life