PHOENIX — Thanks in large part to Arizona Public Service and Strategic Solar Energy, anyone on the Arizona State University campus can now enjoy Mother Nature, regardless of the temperature outside.
The two newest PowerParasol solar structures provide shade for people and sunlight for plants, as well as unique lighting and security features, while producing clean renewable energy.
The structures are located near a prominent parking entrance to the Gammage Auditorium, as well as over Pedestrian Mall near Cady Fountain and the Memorial Union.
PowerParasol President Bob Boscamp is thrilled with the project.
“I went to school (there) a long time ago, and nothing had changed in that mall,” he said. “No one would ever sit in the mall, unless you were sitting in the fountain hanging your feet in to cool off, and then as soon as you got out, you’d race to go inside the M.U. to get the air conditioning.”
He said these new structures provide a venue for students to entertain themselves or hold gatherings before or after events at Gammage. Some even feel it’s an ideal place to conduct higher education.
“Some of the professors are already talking about holding class out under the PowerParasol, adjacent to the music school and College of Education,” said Boscamp.
The 25-foot-high structures are higher than a traditional carport or canopy solar installation. Construction elements include advertising and promotional signage opportunities.
The first PowerParasol structure was constructed in Lot 59 near Sun Devil Stadium. Fans use that area to tailgate before and after games, and students use it for shaded parking.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food