PHOENIX — Thanks in large part to Arizona Public Service and Strategic Solar Energy, anyone on the Arizona State University campus can now enjoy Mother Nature, regardless of the temperature outside.
The two newest PowerParasol solar structures provide shade for people and sunlight for plants, as well as unique lighting and security features, while producing clean renewable energy.
The structures are located near a prominent parking entrance to the Gammage Auditorium, as well as over Pedestrian Mall near Cady Fountain and the Memorial Union.
PowerParasol President Bob Boscamp is thrilled with the project.
“I went to school (there) a long time ago, and nothing had changed in that mall,” he said. “No one would ever sit in the mall, unless you were sitting in the fountain hanging your feet in to cool off, and then as soon as you got out, you’d race to go inside the M.U. to get the air conditioning.”
He said these new structures provide a venue for students to entertain themselves or hold gatherings before or after events at Gammage. Some even feel it’s an ideal place to conduct higher education.
“Some of the professors are already talking about holding class out under the PowerParasol, adjacent to the music school and College of Education,” said Boscamp.
The 25-foot-high structures are higher than a traditional carport or canopy solar installation. Construction elements include advertising and promotional signage opportunities.
The first PowerParasol structure was constructed in Lot 59 near Sun Devil Stadium. Fans use that area to tailgate before and after games, and students use it for shaded parking.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl