PHOENIX — On Wednesday, city council members will be asked to move forward with some of the infrastructure needs for Google’s fiber optic network.
Part of the proposal includes providing ‘network huts’ on city-owned property. These ‘huts’ would house equipment for Google Fiber, a service the company says offers Internet speeds up to 100 times faster than basic broadband connections.
According to a city council report, Google estimates it will need 30-40 hut sites on city-owned property. The proposal calls for Google to pay all costs of construction, utilities and maintenance, along with an annual fee, starting at $2.75 per square foot.
Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tempe are among nine metro areas in the running for Google Fiber. Currently, Provo, Utah, Kansas City, Kans., and Kansas City, Mo., have the ultra-fast Internet and it is currently under construction in Austin, Tx.
Google is asking the cities in the running to show they have the infrastructure and processes in place for a smooth expansion. Google expects to announce which cities the company will invest in by the end of 2014.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night