PHOENIX — On Wednesday, city council members will be asked to move forward with some of the infrastructure needs for Google’s fiber optic network.
Part of the proposal includes providing ‘network huts’ on city-owned property. These ‘huts’ would house equipment for Google Fiber, a service the company says offers Internet speeds up to 100 times faster than basic broadband connections.
According to a city council report, Google estimates it will need 30-40 hut sites on city-owned property. The proposal calls for Google to pay all costs of construction, utilities and maintenance, along with an annual fee, starting at $2.75 per square foot.
Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tempe are among nine metro areas in the running for Google Fiber. Currently, Provo, Utah, Kansas City, Kans., and Kansas City, Mo., have the ultra-fast Internet and it is currently under construction in Austin, Tx.
Google is asking the cities in the running to show they have the infrastructure and processes in place for a smooth expansion. Google expects to announce which cities the company will invest in by the end of 2014.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas