PHOENIX — Cottonwood resident Al Slussman is no stranger to long walks.
Slussman is a 75-year-old Navy veteran who has dedicated treks covering the length and width of the United States and Arizona to senior citizens, disabled Americans and U.S. troops and veterans, as well as Arizona food banks.
Next Monday, Slussman will begin a 75-mile, six-day stroll through the Verde Valley. He’s walking for the American Red Cross, an organization that helped his family nearly 40 years ago.
“Back in 1974, we experienced a house fire in Flagstaff…our house burned to the ground,” Slussman said. “We lost everything. We had no place to go. The Red Cross was there for us. They sent us to a motel and took care of us until our insurance took over.”
Slussman is hoping to raise at least $7,500 for victims of disasters. He said he’ll sleep in several fire stations along the way. He also encouraged people to join him and asked that any donations be made out to the American Red Cross Grand Canyon Chapter’s disaster relief fund.
Donations may be made online at www.crowdrise.com.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier