PHOENIX — Cottonwood resident Al Slussman is no stranger to long walks.
Slussman is a 75-year-old Navy veteran who has dedicated treks covering the length and width of the United States and Arizona to senior citizens, disabled Americans and U.S. troops and veterans, as well as Arizona food banks.
Next Monday, Slussman will begin a 75-mile, six-day stroll through the Verde Valley. He’s walking for the American Red Cross, an organization that helped his family nearly 40 years ago.
“Back in 1974, we experienced a house fire in Flagstaff…our house burned to the ground,” Slussman said. “We lost everything. We had no place to go. The Red Cross was there for us. They sent us to a motel and took care of us until our insurance took over.”
Slussman is hoping to raise at least $7,500 for victims of disasters. He said he’ll sleep in several fire stations along the way. He also encouraged people to join him and asked that any donations be made out to the American Red Cross Grand Canyon Chapter’s disaster relief fund.
Donations may be made online at www.crowdrise.com.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food