PHOENIX — Cottonwood resident Al Slussman is no stranger to long walks.
Slussman is a 75-year-old Navy veteran who has dedicated treks covering the length and width of the United States and Arizona to senior citizens, disabled Americans and U.S. troops and veterans, as well as Arizona food banks.
Next Monday, Slussman will begin a 75-mile, six-day stroll through the Verde Valley. He’s walking for the American Red Cross, an organization that helped his family nearly 40 years ago.
“Back in 1974, we experienced a house fire in Flagstaff…our house burned to the ground,” Slussman said. “We lost everything. We had no place to go. The Red Cross was there for us. They sent us to a motel and took care of us until our insurance took over.”
Slussman is hoping to raise at least $7,500 for victims of disasters. He said he’ll sleep in several fire stations along the way. He also encouraged people to join him and asked that any donations be made out to the American Red Cross Grand Canyon Chapter’s disaster relief fund.
Donations may be made online at www.crowdrise.com.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments