PHOENIX — Police in the West Valley said someone has made off with a piece of equipment that contains radioactive material.
The early Monday-morning theft was of a nuclear density gauge from a pick-up truck parked in Goodyear. The gauge holds a small amount of radioactive ingredients and only poses a health risk if tampered with and there is long-term exposure.
“If the person had direct, prolonged contact with it, it could potentially cause some health risks,” said Lisa Kutis with the Goodyear Police Department.
The gauge, used in construction, was taken near Van Buren Street and North Lichtfield Road. The Cancer Treatment Centers of America medical center is in the area.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this story.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food