PHOENIX — A Valley high school student is being honored by Major League Baseball.
Michael Andaloro is a ninth grader at Veritas Preparatory Academy in Phoenix and he was selected as one of two grand prize winner’s for the MLB’s 2014 Breaking Barriers essay contest.
Nearly 19,000 students from across the country submitted essays. Sharon Robinson, the daughter of hall-of-fame baseball player Jackie Robinson and an educational consultant for the MLB said Andaloro was chosen because of the unique challenges he’s overcome as a deaf student.
“The doctors thought he would never speak and his parents sent him to an oral-deaf school and (in) six months, he had closed a three-year (educational) gap,” she said. “I can’t wait to meet him.”
Robinson is meeting with Andaloro on Monday and will present him with the prizes he earned as a grand prize winner. Some of those include a new laptop, books and t-shirts for his entire class and a meet-and-greet with the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Most importantly though, Robinson said he’ll get the opportunity to be honored at one of sport’s biggest events.
“Probably game three or four of the World Series, he’ll be honored before the World Series crowd,” she said.
This is the 18th year the MLB has named a scholastic winner for its Breaking Barriers contest.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them