PHOENIX — A Valley high school student is being honored by Major League Baseball.
Michael Andaloro is a ninth grader at Veritas Preparatory Academy in Phoenix and he was selected as one of two grand prize winner’s for the MLB’s 2014 Breaking Barriers essay contest.
Nearly 19,000 students from across the country submitted essays. Sharon Robinson, the daughter of hall-of-fame baseball player Jackie Robinson and an educational consultant for the MLB said Andaloro was chosen because of the unique challenges he’s overcome as a deaf student.
“The doctors thought he would never speak and his parents sent him to an oral-deaf school and (in) six months, he had closed a three-year (educational) gap,” she said. “I can’t wait to meet him.”
Robinson is meeting with Andaloro on Monday and will present him with the prizes he earned as a grand prize winner. Some of those include a new laptop, books and t-shirts for his entire class and a meet-and-greet with the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Most importantly though, Robinson said he’ll get the opportunity to be honored at one of sport’s biggest events.
“Probably game three or four of the World Series, he’ll be honored before the World Series crowd,” she said.
This is the 18th year the MLB has named a scholastic winner for its Breaking Barriers contest.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night