PHOENIX — A Valley high school student is being honored by Major League Baseball.
Michael Andaloro is a ninth grader at Veritas Preparatory Academy in Phoenix and he was selected as one of two grand prize winner’s for the MLB’s 2014 Breaking Barriers essay contest.
Nearly 19,000 students from across the country submitted essays. Sharon Robinson, the daughter of hall-of-fame baseball player Jackie Robinson and an educational consultant for the MLB said Andaloro was chosen because of the unique challenges he’s overcome as a deaf student.
“The doctors thought he would never speak and his parents sent him to an oral-deaf school and (in) six months, he had closed a three-year (educational) gap,” she said. “I can’t wait to meet him.”
Robinson is meeting with Andaloro on Monday and will present him with the prizes he earned as a grand prize winner. Some of those include a new laptop, books and t-shirts for his entire class and a meet-and-greet with the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Most importantly though, Robinson said he’ll get the opportunity to be honored at one of sport’s biggest events.
“Probably game three or four of the World Series, he’ll be honored before the World Series crowd,” she said.
This is the 18th year the MLB has named a scholastic winner for its Breaking Barriers contest.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.