PHOENIX — Cinco de Mayo is coming up, and you may not see something familiar with your beers and margaritas this year.
That’s because heavy rains in parts of Mexico have led to a lime shortage that has driven up the wholesale price of limes to $100 for a 40-pound crate.
Some bars and restaurants in California are running so low on limes that they’re offering 25-cent drinks to customers who bring in bags filled with them.
There’s been no shortage at Larry’s Cocktails in Phoenix. The popular neighborhood watering hole near Cave Creek and Beardsley roads has been getting regular shipment, though it has seen a change in the quality.
“They’re just dry. There’s not a shortage, they’re just dry,” said bartender Jim Smith. He said that the problem isn’t big enough for the bar to complain to its supplier.
Smith said that his bar goes through a lot of limes to please customers who want them.
“There’s a few drinks, margaritas or something, but that’s about it,” he said, though he later admitted that he isn’t a lime fan. “I figure that if you’ve got to put lime in the drink, it’s not worth drinking.”
Smith said the bar will serve lemons with the drinks if they run out of limes.
Customer Mark Anderson said he doesn’t care if the bar runs out of limes. But if it runs out of Coronas, that’s another story.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night