PHOENIX — Cinco de Mayo is coming up, and you may not see something familiar with your beers and margaritas this year.
That’s because heavy rains in parts of Mexico have led to a lime shortage that has driven up the wholesale price of limes to $100 for a 40-pound crate.
Some bars and restaurants in California are running so low on limes that they’re offering 25-cent drinks to customers who bring in bags filled with them.
There’s been no shortage at Larry’s Cocktails in Phoenix. The popular neighborhood watering hole near Cave Creek and Beardsley roads has been getting regular shipment, though it has seen a change in the quality.
“They’re just dry. There’s not a shortage, they’re just dry,” said bartender Jim Smith. He said that the problem isn’t big enough for the bar to complain to its supplier.
Smith said that his bar goes through a lot of limes to please customers who want them.
“There’s a few drinks, margaritas or something, but that’s about it,” he said, though he later admitted that he isn’t a lime fan. “I figure that if you’ve got to put lime in the drink, it’s not worth drinking.”
Smith said the bar will serve lemons with the drinks if they run out of limes.
Customer Mark Anderson said he doesn’t care if the bar runs out of limes. But if it runs out of Coronas, that’s another story.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development