PHOENIX — Cinco de Mayo is coming up, and you may not see something familiar with your beers and margaritas this year.
That’s because heavy rains in parts of Mexico have led to a lime shortage that has driven up the wholesale price of limes to $100 for a 40-pound crate.
Some bars and restaurants in California are running so low on limes that they’re offering 25-cent drinks to customers who bring in bags filled with them.
There’s been no shortage at Larry’s Cocktails in Phoenix. The popular neighborhood watering hole near Cave Creek and Beardsley roads has been getting regular shipment, though it has seen a change in the quality.
“They’re just dry. There’s not a shortage, they’re just dry,” said bartender Jim Smith. He said that the problem isn’t big enough for the bar to complain to its supplier.
Smith said that his bar goes through a lot of limes to please customers who want them.
“There’s a few drinks, margaritas or something, but that’s about it,” he said, though he later admitted that he isn’t a lime fan. “I figure that if you’ve got to put lime in the drink, it’s not worth drinking.”
Smith said the bar will serve lemons with the drinks if they run out of limes.
Customer Mark Anderson said he doesn’t care if the bar runs out of limes. But if it runs out of Coronas, that’s another story.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food