PHOENIX — Another Arizona-based school made it to the Elite Eight, but this time it’s in the classroom.
Saaketh Narayan, Vilina Mehta, Vishesh Gupta, Nishant Kannan and Gokul Karthikeyan of BASIS Scottsdale Middle School advanced to the Round of Eight in the Department of Energy’s 2014 National Science Bowl — an academic tournament featuring 5,200 students from all 50 states.
However, the five students’ collective push to a national championship ended there Sunday, as they were one of four schools to get knocked out of the competition in the quarterfinal round.
Although they failed to reach Monday’s final at the National Building Museum in Washington, D.C., BASIS Scottsdale receives $1,000 to go towards its science department for being a top 8 finalist.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food