PHOENIX — Sixty-eight high schools from around the country are competing in the finals of the Department of Energy (DOE) National Science Bowl® — an academic competition that will conclude with a new national champion Monday.
Among those 68 high schools is Arizona’s own Phoenix Desert Vista.
Sunday’s portion of the bowl, which is being held in Chevy Chase, Md., consists of a head-to-head, fast-paced question-and-answer competition, with the students being quizzed on a range of science disciplines including biology, chemistry, Earth science, physics, astronomy and math.
From there, the field will be narrowed by double-elimination rounds, before two schools remain at the end of the day.
According to a press release put out by the Office of Public Affairs, the national champion will win a nine-day, all-expense paid science trip to Alaska, while the second-place finisher will win a five-day, fully guided adventure tour of the Great Salt Lake Park, Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park.
Schools that finish in the top 16 of the competition will also receive $1,000 prizes to be used on their respective science departments.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food