PHOENIX — Several servicewomen stationed overseas will soon be receiving a welcomed gift from home.
Volunteers in the Valley will be preparing 100 care packages to be shipped overseas containing hard-to-find items — such as feminine products, shampoo, magazines and books.
Melissa Watson with Soroptimist International of the Kachinas said some boxes of Girl Scout Cookies will also be among the items, and they are one of the most popular.
“When we did it last year, some of the comments we got back from some of the soldiers was how nice it was to get Girl Scout Cookies,” Watson said. “It’s just that piece of home that they can’t get when they’re stationed overseas.”
Boxes will be sent out to two different locations abroad — some going to female Marines stationed in Bahrain and some going to female Army soldiers stationed in Jordan.
“A year deployment is a long time to be away from home,” Watson said. “It’s nice to hear from home even when it’s (from) somewhat of a stranger like we are sending them care packages.”
Watson said the packages go a long way in showing support for women serving in the armed forces overseas and their sacrifice.
She added the group is still looking for box sponsors to donate money to send the care packages. Each box costs $12 to send, and people can make donations by visiting SIKachinas.org.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments