PHOENIX — Several servicewomen stationed overseas will soon be receiving a welcomed gift from home.
Volunteers in the Valley will be preparing 100 care packages to be shipped overseas containing hard-to-find items — such as feminine products, shampoo, magazines and books.
Melissa Watson with Soroptimist International of the Kachinas said some boxes of Girl Scout Cookies will also be among the items, and they are one of the most popular.
“When we did it last year, some of the comments we got back from some of the soldiers was how nice it was to get Girl Scout Cookies,” Watson said. “It’s just that piece of home that they can’t get when they’re stationed overseas.”
Boxes will be sent out to two different locations abroad — some going to female Marines stationed in Bahrain and some going to female Army soldiers stationed in Jordan.
“A year deployment is a long time to be away from home,” Watson said. “It’s nice to hear from home even when it’s (from) somewhat of a stranger like we are sending them care packages.”
Watson said the packages go a long way in showing support for women serving in the armed forces overseas and their sacrifice.
She added the group is still looking for box sponsors to donate money to send the care packages. Each box costs $12 to send, and people can make donations by visiting SIKachinas.org.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.