PHOENIX — Several servicewomen stationed overseas will soon be receiving a welcomed gift from home.
Volunteers in the Valley will be preparing 100 care packages to be shipped overseas containing hard-to-find items — such as feminine products, shampoo, magazines and books.
Melissa Watson with Soroptimist International of the Kachinas said some boxes of Girl Scout Cookies will also be among the items, and they are one of the most popular.
“When we did it last year, some of the comments we got back from some of the soldiers was how nice it was to get Girl Scout Cookies,” Watson said. “It’s just that piece of home that they can’t get when they’re stationed overseas.”
Boxes will be sent out to two different locations abroad — some going to female Marines stationed in Bahrain and some going to female Army soldiers stationed in Jordan.
“A year deployment is a long time to be away from home,” Watson said. “It’s nice to hear from home even when it’s (from) somewhat of a stranger like we are sending them care packages.”
Watson said the packages go a long way in showing support for women serving in the armed forces overseas and their sacrifice.
She added the group is still looking for box sponsors to donate money to send the care packages. Each box costs $12 to send, and people can make donations by visiting SIKachinas.org.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night