PHOENIX — Several servicewomen stationed overseas will soon be receiving a welcomed gift from home.
Volunteers in the Valley will be preparing 100 care packages to be shipped overseas containing hard-to-find items — such as feminine products, shampoo, magazines and books.
Melissa Watson with Soroptimist International of the Kachinas said some boxes of Girl Scout Cookies will also be among the items, and they are one of the most popular.
“When we did it last year, some of the comments we got back from some of the soldiers was how nice it was to get Girl Scout Cookies,” Watson said. “It’s just that piece of home that they can’t get when they’re stationed overseas.”
Boxes will be sent out to two different locations abroad — some going to female Marines stationed in Bahrain and some going to female Army soldiers stationed in Jordan.
“A year deployment is a long time to be away from home,” Watson said. “It’s nice to hear from home even when it’s (from) somewhat of a stranger like we are sending them care packages.”
Watson said the packages go a long way in showing support for women serving in the armed forces overseas and their sacrifice.
She added the group is still looking for box sponsors to donate money to send the care packages. Each box costs $12 to send, and people can make donations by visiting SIKachinas.org.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon