PHOENIX — A new report shows that less than 55 percent of Arizona college graduates have student debt.
Based on data from College-Insight.org, The Washington Post reported that Arizona ranks at the low end of the spectrum for student debt. Approximately 54 percent of 4-year graduates have an average debt of $20,299.
Nevada came in first with 41 percent of students, but the average debt was actually higher than Arizona’s by $269.
New Mexico had the lowest average debt of $17,994, however, 61 percent of students had debt.
New Hampshire had both the highest percentage of student debt with 74 percent and the highest average debt of $32,698.
The high concentration of debt in the Northeast and Midwest was due “in part because of the higher proportion of pricey private schools.”
Cost of living, financial aid and state policies are just some of the factors that go into determining or establishing college debt. Not surprisingly, lower income students, even those at state institutions, “tend to take out more loans to finance their education.”
For a state-by-state analysis, click here.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns