PHOENIX — Arizona is getting a new ocean — or at least a model of one.
The “ocean” is coming to the 700,000-gallon aquarium at the Biosphere 2 project northeast of Tucson. Project Manager Rafe Sagarin said researchers will be attempting to recreate the ecosystem in the Sea of Cortez.
“[There are] thousands of species of fish and invertebrates, and we’ll take selections of those,” Sagarin said. “You’ll see very colorful fish. You’ll also see probably small sharks and stingrays (and) we may be able to bring in sea turtles.”
He said the original ocean in the Biosphere was modeled after the Caribbean and contained mostly coral, but there were issues from the start.
“The glass on Biosphere 2 is treated for UV radiation,” Sagarin said. “But corals actually need that part of the light spectrum — the UV — to thrive, so right away, they were at a disadvantage.”
After the coral died, Sagarin said they decided to shift gears and that’s why the new project will focus more on other life forms found in the Gulf of California.
Researchers have already released hermit crabs into the water and Sagarin said the project should be complete within the next few years.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life