PHOENIX — Arizona is getting a new ocean — or at least a model of one.
The “ocean” is coming to the 700,000-gallon aquarium at the Biosphere 2 project northeast of Tucson. Project Manager Rafe Sagarin said researchers will be attempting to recreate the ecosystem in the Sea of Cortez.
“[There are] thousands of species of fish and invertebrates, and we’ll take selections of those,” Sagarin said. “You’ll see very colorful fish. You’ll also see probably small sharks and stingrays (and) we may be able to bring in sea turtles.”
He said the original ocean in the Biosphere was modeled after the Caribbean and contained mostly coral, but there were issues from the start.
“The glass on Biosphere 2 is treated for UV radiation,” Sagarin said. “But corals actually need that part of the light spectrum — the UV — to thrive, so right away, they were at a disadvantage.”
After the coral died, Sagarin said they decided to shift gears and that’s why the new project will focus more on other life forms found in the Gulf of California.
Researchers have already released hermit crabs into the water and Sagarin said the project should be complete within the next few years.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them