PHOENIX — From first being dangerously low on cash to now posting a surplus, the city of Surprise, Ariz., could be a model of recovery.
It was only last year that a budget crisis revealed the city only had $500,000 in its general fund reserve, forcing the city to make drastic cuts.
“We did a lot of things — mostly cut expenses,” said Vice Mayor Skip Hall. “Seventy percent of our expenses are personnel.”
The city had to lay off 19 people as a result and postpone numerous maintenance projects for the city.
Hall said now that the city is posting a surplus, that money will go those long-overdue city improvements.
“We’ve got a couple of road issues we need to finish, like Mountain View Boulevard,” Hall said.
Other proposed improvements include work to city parks and roadways, new youth and sports programs, expansion to the Surprise Stadium and the city’s first Boys and Girls Club.
“We really kept our eye on the ball, and our employees kept their eyes on the ball,” Hall said. “It hasn’t been easy.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon