PHOENIX — From first being dangerously low on cash to now posting a surplus, the city of Surprise, Ariz., could be a model of recovery.
It was only last year that a budget crisis revealed the city only had $500,000 in its general fund reserve, forcing the city to make drastic cuts.
“We did a lot of things — mostly cut expenses,” said Vice Mayor Skip Hall. “Seventy percent of our expenses are personnel.”
The city had to lay off 19 people as a result and postpone numerous maintenance projects for the city.
Hall said now that the city is posting a surplus, that money will go those long-overdue city improvements.
“We’ve got a couple of road issues we need to finish, like Mountain View Boulevard,” Hall said.
Other proposed improvements include work to city parks and roadways, new youth and sports programs, expansion to the Surprise Stadium and the city’s first Boys and Girls Club.
“We really kept our eye on the ball, and our employees kept their eyes on the ball,” Hall said. “It hasn’t been easy.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns