PHOENIX — From first being dangerously low on cash to now posting a surplus, the city of Surprise, Ariz., could be a model of recovery.
It was only last year that a budget crisis revealed the city only had $500,000 in its general fund reserve, forcing the city to make drastic cuts.
“We did a lot of things — mostly cut expenses,” said Vice Mayor Skip Hall. “Seventy percent of our expenses are personnel.”
The city had to lay off 19 people as a result and postpone numerous maintenance projects for the city.
Hall said now that the city is posting a surplus, that money will go those long-overdue city improvements.
“We’ve got a couple of road issues we need to finish, like Mountain View Boulevard,” Hall said.
Other proposed improvements include work to city parks and roadways, new youth and sports programs, expansion to the Surprise Stadium and the city’s first Boys and Girls Club.
“We really kept our eye on the ball, and our employees kept their eyes on the ball,” Hall said. “It hasn’t been easy.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night