PHOENIX — It’s time to empty your medicine cabinet.
The Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) is holding its eighth prescription drug take-back on April 26, from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.
Arizona residents can drop off their old, unwanted or expired drugs to one of the 85 designated locations statewide. DEA Special Agent Ramona Sanchez said unused prescription medications are a public safety issue.
“Often we do see a high rate of prescription drug abuse,” she said. “And a majority of teenagers have reported that the prescription drugs they get (are) from their family and friends.”
According to the DEA, medications that go unused in homes are a concern because they are susceptible to accidental ingestion, theft, misuse and abuse.
According to the 2012 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, approximately 6.8 million Americans abuse prescription drugs. In Arizona, 1 in 6 youths have reported abuse of prescription drugs.
To find a drop off location site nearest you, visit www.DEA.gov.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas