PHOENIX — Two treatments are showing some promise in helping those who suffer from migraine headaches.
For the last 20 years, doctors have known of a protein that plays an important role in the formation of migraines, but now, there may be some good news.
“A couple of antibodies have been developed against that particular protein,” said Dr. David Dodick, neurology professor at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. “These antibodies are delivered, one intravenously and one subcutaneously, like an insulin injection.”
A three-month study showed that migraine sufferers receiving the treatments saw as much as a 62 percent drop in the number of migraine headache days per month.
Dodick was excited about what this means for present and future patients.
“For the first time, actually, we’re entering a new era where we’re having migraine drugs that can actually prevent the attacks, and they’re designed specifically to treat the migraine,” said Dodick.
Right now, migraines are treated with drugs that are designed to help patients with epilepsy and other disorders.
Dodick said more testing is needed, but the new migraine treatments could be available to the public in about two years. The findings of two studies on the treatments will be presented at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Neurology, which is set for April 26 through May 3 in Philadelphia.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick