PHOENIX — Two treatments are showing some promise in helping those who suffer from migraine headaches.
For the last 20 years, doctors have known of a protein that plays an important role in the formation of migraines, but now, there may be some good news.
“A couple of antibodies have been developed against that particular protein,” said Dr. David Dodick, neurology professor at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. “These antibodies are delivered, one intravenously and one subcutaneously, like an insulin injection.”
A three-month study showed that migraine sufferers receiving the treatments saw as much as a 62 percent drop in the number of migraine headache days per month.
Dodick was excited about what this means for present and future patients.
“For the first time, actually, we’re entering a new era where we’re having migraine drugs that can actually prevent the attacks, and they’re designed specifically to treat the migraine,” said Dodick.
Right now, migraines are treated with drugs that are designed to help patients with epilepsy and other disorders.
Dodick said more testing is needed, but the new migraine treatments could be available to the public in about two years. The findings of two studies on the treatments will be presented at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Neurology, which is set for April 26 through May 3 in Philadelphia.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier