PHOENIX — An Arizona lawmaker said she is not surprised the head of the department that oversaw Arizona’s scandal-ridden child welfare agency has kept his job after a four-month investigation.
“When we looked at some of the uninvestigated cases, they were before [Clarence Carter] started,” said state Sen. Leah Landrum Taylor. “So again, this is something that’s been going on systemically for a very long time, years, decades. It was even before his watch started.”
While Carter’s ability and competency to manage a state agency the size of the Department of Economic Security has been questioned, Landrum Taylor seems confident he’ll succeed now that the former Child Protective Services has been dissolved.
“The solution actually came when the governor separated CPS from DES because it’s huge,” she said. “Now it’s its own department. DES was just too huge, that’s not going to be the case and Director Carter is moving forward.”
Landrum Taylor, who was appointed to the CARE Team to help the investigation, said none of what DPS uncovered in the months-long investigation came as a shock.
“Bottom line, there has been a systemic issue and the culture in general within CPS has to change,” she said.
Six people were fired from the agency prior to DPS releasing the extensive report.
Landrum Taylor said she is still reading through the massive report that detailed the breakdown within CPS, which ultimately led to the lives of thousands of children lives being put at risk because allegations of abuse or neglect went uninvestigated.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets