PHOENIX — Mayor Greg Stanton is excited about the possibility that Phoenix may host 2016 Democratic National Convention.
Earlier this week, the Democratic National Committee requested a bid from Phoenix to host the convention. Stanton said the city’s bid will outline why the Democrats should come here.
He said there is adequate transportation and several hotels close to the Phoenix Convention Center and that Phoenix is ready to host the convention, among other reasons.
“With our growing diversity that we’re lucky enough to have here, and our fast-growing Latino population, from a political perspective, it makes a lot of sense for the DNC to choose Phoenix,” Stanton said.
Earlier this year, the Republican National Committee rejected Phoenix’s bid to host its 2016 convention. According to CNN, Republican officials said that high competition was the reason that Phoenix’s bid failed.
The RNC’s Site Selection Committee Chair Enid Mickelsen issued a statement on April 2, saying “in any other year, Columbus and Phoenix could have topped the list, but with so many strong cities competing, the committee had to make the difficult decision to narrow the field. Phoenix and Columbus are great American cities, and I hope they’ll pursue a future bid for an RNC convention.”
Stanton believes the bid his city offered the Republicans was a good one, but Phoenix had no control over the factors that led the committee to reject it.
“They have to make their own determination based on where, regionally, they think the convention should be, where they have the easiest access to the people with significant financial means to underwrite things,” he said. “There’s a lot of factors that go into it.”
Stanton hopes the Democrats make the same mistake the Republicans did when they turned down the Valley of the Sun.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development