PHOENIX — Mayor Greg Stanton is excited about the possibility that Phoenix may host 2016 Democratic National Convention.
Earlier this week, the Democratic National Committee requested a bid from Phoenix to host the convention. Stanton said the city’s bid will outline why the Democrats should come here.
He said there is adequate transportation and several hotels close to the Phoenix Convention Center and that Phoenix is ready to host the convention, among other reasons.
“With our growing diversity that we’re lucky enough to have here, and our fast-growing Latino population, from a political perspective, it makes a lot of sense for the DNC to choose Phoenix,” Stanton said.
Earlier this year, the Republican National Committee rejected Phoenix’s bid to host its 2016 convention. According to CNN, Republican officials said that high competition was the reason that Phoenix’s bid failed.
The RNC’s Site Selection Committee Chair Enid Mickelsen issued a statement on April 2, saying “in any other year, Columbus and Phoenix could have topped the list, but with so many strong cities competing, the committee had to make the difficult decision to narrow the field. Phoenix and Columbus are great American cities, and I hope they’ll pursue a future bid for an RNC convention.”
Stanton believes the bid his city offered the Republicans was a good one, but Phoenix had no control over the factors that led the committee to reject it.
“They have to make their own determination based on where, regionally, they think the convention should be, where they have the easiest access to the people with significant financial means to underwrite things,” he said. “There’s a lot of factors that go into it.”
Stanton hopes the Democrats make the same mistake the Republicans did when they turned down the Valley of the Sun.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths