PHOENIX — Weather experts said El Nino is on its way back and Ken Waters with the National Weather Service said that typically means big winter rain and snow storms in Arizona.
“Each passing week we’re seeing stronger and stronger signals. Our confidence is moving up in that regard. There’s certainly the potential of a big winter here,” Waters said.
El Nino warms the Pacific Ocean and some experts said the ocean was warming in the same fashion as 1997-98, which brought Arizona one of its wettest winters. Called by many “The Great El Nino,” many scientists believe once it ended, that’s when Arizona went into its current drought.
Waters said a repeat of rain and snowfall from that year would be nice but not a drought-buster.
“It’s tough to go against so many years of drought,” he said. “It will take a lot to put away the drought once and for all. In the Southwest, El Nino is very much a wintertime event. We’re talking October to March and maybe April.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development