PHOENIX — Weather experts said El Nino is on its way back and Ken Waters with the National Weather Service said that typically means big winter rain and snow storms in Arizona.
“Each passing week we’re seeing stronger and stronger signals. Our confidence is moving up in that regard. There’s certainly the potential of a big winter here,” Waters said.
El Nino warms the Pacific Ocean and some experts said the ocean was warming in the same fashion as 1997-98, which brought Arizona one of its wettest winters. Called by many “The Great El Nino,” many scientists believe once it ended, that’s when Arizona went into its current drought.
Waters said a repeat of rain and snowfall from that year would be nice but not a drought-buster.
“It’s tough to go against so many years of drought,” he said. “It will take a lot to put away the drought once and for all. In the Southwest, El Nino is very much a wintertime event. We’re talking October to March and maybe April.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.