PHOENIX — Just like the TV show “Gilligan’s Island,” it was a “three-hour tour,” except there was nothing funny about this ride.
Mayors and city council members from Phoenix, Tempe, El Mirage, Carefree, Chandler and Goodyear boarded a bus in downtown Phoenix on Wednesday for a tour of a human service center and three newly constructed or upgraded low income housing projects.
In addition, they also got an update from various groups on the efforts to end chronic homelessness in the Valley.
Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell was part of the group. He believes that attention needs to be drawn to efforts by cities to deal with the homelessness issue.
“We do what we can to end homelessness. I think our communities will be better for that,” said Mitchell. “It will also help the environment in which we all live and how we care for one another. It’s a positive way that we can continue to improve our communities.”
Mitchell said Tempe is doing a lot of work on the problem.
“Right out of our general fund, we put $1 million into our human services,” said Mitchell. “We work the nonprofit Tempe Community Council, and we are very committed to offering services to those who are less fortunate.”
The bus tour was the latest effort by the Partnership to End Chronic Homelessness, which is a partnership between Valley cities, Maricopa County and the Valley of the Sun United Way.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas