PHOENIX — Just like the TV show “Gilligan’s Island,” it was a “three-hour tour,” except there was nothing funny about this ride.
Mayors and city council members from Phoenix, Tempe, El Mirage, Carefree, Chandler and Goodyear boarded a bus in downtown Phoenix on Wednesday for a tour of a human service center and three newly constructed or upgraded low income housing projects.
In addition, they also got an update from various groups on the efforts to end chronic homelessness in the Valley.
Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell was part of the group. He believes that attention needs to be drawn to efforts by cities to deal with the homelessness issue.
“We do what we can to end homelessness. I think our communities will be better for that,” said Mitchell. “It will also help the environment in which we all live and how we care for one another. It’s a positive way that we can continue to improve our communities.”
Mitchell said Tempe is doing a lot of work on the problem.
“Right out of our general fund, we put $1 million into our human services,” said Mitchell. “We work the nonprofit Tempe Community Council, and we are very committed to offering services to those who are less fortunate.”
The bus tour was the latest effort by the Partnership to End Chronic Homelessness, which is a partnership between Valley cities, Maricopa County and the Valley of the Sun United Way.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them