SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Arizona State University’s Skysong Innovation Center got a visitor from Washington on Wednesday.
U.S. Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker toured the center to see how entrepreneurial opportunities are being developed there.
She was impressed with what she saw and said that Skysong was more than just a building.
“This is a whole process and support system to bring innovators, businesses, the university and the local community college system (together),” Pritzker said. “That’s something that I want to say that I really want to see them continue to expand.”
She also noted that Skysong is involved in projects as far away as Malaysia.
“Skysong is extraordinary in the sense of not only the breadth of its activity, (but) the amount of support of ASU, the incredible engagement of the local business community and also its incredible ability to work overseas,” she said.
Pritzker’s visit comes one week after President Barack Obama announced $600 million in competitive grants to spur creation of training and apprenticeship programs.
“Eighty-seven percent of people who go through an apprenticeship program get good jobs,” said Pritzker.
She said that more apprenticeship programs are needed.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development