SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Arizona State University’s Skysong Innovation Center got a visitor from Washington on Wednesday.
U.S. Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker toured the center to see how entrepreneurial opportunities are being developed there.
She was impressed with what she saw and said that Skysong was more than just a building.
“This is a whole process and support system to bring innovators, businesses, the university and the local community college system (together),” Pritzker said. “That’s something that I want to say that I really want to see them continue to expand.”
She also noted that Skysong is involved in projects as far away as Malaysia.
“Skysong is extraordinary in the sense of not only the breadth of its activity, (but) the amount of support of ASU, the incredible engagement of the local business community and also its incredible ability to work overseas,” she said.
Pritzker’s visit comes one week after President Barack Obama announced $600 million in competitive grants to spur creation of training and apprenticeship programs.
“Eighty-seven percent of people who go through an apprenticeship program get good jobs,” said Pritzker.
She said that more apprenticeship programs are needed.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them