PHOENIX — Two Arizona charter schools have been named among the top five high schools in America by the respected publication U.S News and World Report.
BASIS Scottsdale was ranked No. 2 out of more than 19,400 public high schools. According to the publication’s website, schools were awarded gold, silver or bronze medals based on their performance on state assessments and how well they prepare students for college.
Another BASIC school, Tucson North, was ranked No. 5.
“Hoping to be ranked in the top 10, as we were last year, but we did not know we were going to be ranked top two, so we are really thrilled,” said Elizabeth McConaghy, head of the Scottsdale campus near Via Linda and 136th Street.
The charter school is a privately managed, public school that prides itself on academic excellence.
“There’s a buzz around BASIS schools. It’s a really a great place to learn and a great place to work,” said McConaghy.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development