PHOENIX — Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington was sentenced to one year of supervised probation Wednesday in an aggravated assault case.
“The sentence was not so strong that you look at it and say ‘This is a great deal of culpability on his part,'” said Doug Franz from the Doug & Wolf Show on Arizona Sports, now on 98.7 FM. “I think the light sentence is going to show the NFL to go light as well.”
Franz said he believes Washington will be suspended two games by the NFL.
According to the police report, Washington had paid a visit to the accuser’s apartment to see their baby, which was not out of the ordinary. Eventually, Washington left with the baby, which upset the mother.
When Washington and the baby returned, the report states he and his ex-girlfriend got into an argument, which continued as they reached the top of the apartment complex’s stairs. The report states that from there, as the woman asked Washington to return the baby to her, he pushed her away and would not allow her to get close enough to reach the baby. The report says Washington “extended his hand and grabbed” the woman by the neck before pushing her over to the landing railing while choking her.
The report says Washington eventually loosened his grip and the woman was able to take the baby from him, but as she tried to close the apartment door behind her he shoved it open and “pushed his way in.”
The report says the woman’s injuries were consistent with her account of the events.
It was later found that Washington and his ex-girlfriend had cases in Maricopa County’s family court system.
Washington was a Pro Bowl alternate in 2012 after finishing the season with 134 tackles and nine sacks. The former second-round pick out of TCU has tallied 319 tackles, 15 sacks and four interceptions as an Arizona Cardinal. He signed a six-year, $32 million contract extension prior to the 2012 season.
KTAR’s Jim Cross and ArizonaSports.com contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier