PHOENIX — Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington was sentenced to one year of supervised probation Wednesday in an aggravated assault case.
“The sentence was not so strong that you look at it and say ‘This is a great deal of culpability on his part,'” said Doug Franz from the Doug & Wolf Show on Arizona Sports, now on 98.7 FM. “I think the light sentence is going to show the NFL to go light as well.”
Franz said he believes Washington will be suspended two games by the NFL.
According to the police report, Washington had paid a visit to the accuser’s apartment to see their baby, which was not out of the ordinary. Eventually, Washington left with the baby, which upset the mother.
When Washington and the baby returned, the report states he and his ex-girlfriend got into an argument, which continued as they reached the top of the apartment complex’s stairs. The report states that from there, as the woman asked Washington to return the baby to her, he pushed her away and would not allow her to get close enough to reach the baby. The report says Washington “extended his hand and grabbed” the woman by the neck before pushing her over to the landing railing while choking her.
The report says Washington eventually loosened his grip and the woman was able to take the baby from him, but as she tried to close the apartment door behind her he shoved it open and “pushed his way in.”
The report says the woman’s injuries were consistent with her account of the events.
It was later found that Washington and his ex-girlfriend had cases in Maricopa County’s family court system.
Washington was a Pro Bowl alternate in 2012 after finishing the season with 134 tackles and nine sacks. The former second-round pick out of TCU has tallied 319 tackles, 15 sacks and four interceptions as an Arizona Cardinal. He signed a six-year, $32 million contract extension prior to the 2012 season.
KTAR’s Jim Cross and ArizonaSports.com contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon