MESA, Ariz. — A swimming center in Mesa is getting ready for a big weekend featuring Olympic star Michael Phelps.
The 22-time Olympic medalist will be swimming in a competition for the first time since the London Olympics in 2012.
The Skyline Aquatics Center is home of the second annual Arena Grand Prix Thursday through Saturday.
“The Arena Grand Prix is actually a series of meets throughout the country that is designed to have the top athletes in the world come and compete,” said Arena Media Director Erin Shields. “There’s prize money throughout the events with an overall winner at the end.”
Shields said that the winner can claim $150,000 in prizes.
The news that Phelps will be in the event has made a big splash in ticket sales.
“Within 24 hours of the announcement, we had sold out all 1,200 seats for all 6 of the competition sessions,” Shields said.
Several other swimming stars will also be competing.
“The names that I think that most households would recognize would be (Olympic medal winners) Ryan Lochte and Anthony Ervin, who was a fan favorite last year, and Matt Grevers, from Tucson, who is obviously somebody that we all love,” said Shields.
Shields said that the Aquatics Center is ready for the event.
“I think it’s exciting. We prepare all year long and have a number of amazing athletes,” Shields said. “There’s not a whole lot that changes.”
Over 500 swimmers from around the world will complete in the event. Shields said that the Friday and Saturday night sessions will be nationally televised on the Universal Sports Network.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas