MESA, Ariz. — A swimming center in Mesa is getting ready for a big weekend featuring Olympic star Michael Phelps.
The 22-time Olympic medalist will be swimming in a competition for the first time since the London Olympics in 2012.
The Skyline Aquatics Center is home of the second annual Arena Grand Prix Thursday through Saturday.
“The Arena Grand Prix is actually a series of meets throughout the country that is designed to have the top athletes in the world come and compete,” said Arena Media Director Erin Shields. “There’s prize money throughout the events with an overall winner at the end.”
Shields said that the winner can claim $150,000 in prizes.
The news that Phelps will be in the event has made a big splash in ticket sales.
“Within 24 hours of the announcement, we had sold out all 1,200 seats for all 6 of the competition sessions,” Shields said.
Several other swimming stars will also be competing.
“The names that I think that most households would recognize would be (Olympic medal winners) Ryan Lochte and Anthony Ervin, who was a fan favorite last year, and Matt Grevers, from Tucson, who is obviously somebody that we all love,” said Shields.
Shields said that the Aquatics Center is ready for the event.
“I think it’s exciting. We prepare all year long and have a number of amazing athletes,” Shields said. “There’s not a whole lot that changes.”
Over 500 swimmers from around the world will complete in the event. Shields said that the Friday and Saturday night sessions will be nationally televised on the Universal Sports Network.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets