MESA, Ariz. — A swimming center in Mesa is getting ready for a big weekend featuring Olympic star Michael Phelps.
The 22-time Olympic medalist will be swimming in a competition for the first time since the London Olympics in 2012.
The Skyline Aquatics Center is home of the second annual Arena Grand Prix Thursday through Saturday.
“The Arena Grand Prix is actually a series of meets throughout the country that is designed to have the top athletes in the world come and compete,” said Arena Media Director Erin Shields. “There’s prize money throughout the events with an overall winner at the end.”
Shields said that the winner can claim $150,000 in prizes.
The news that Phelps will be in the event has made a big splash in ticket sales.
“Within 24 hours of the announcement, we had sold out all 1,200 seats for all 6 of the competition sessions,” Shields said.
Several other swimming stars will also be competing.
“The names that I think that most households would recognize would be (Olympic medal winners) Ryan Lochte and Anthony Ervin, who was a fan favorite last year, and Matt Grevers, from Tucson, who is obviously somebody that we all love,” said Shields.
Shields said that the Aquatics Center is ready for the event.
“I think it’s exciting. We prepare all year long and have a number of amazing athletes,” Shields said. “There’s not a whole lot that changes.”
Over 500 swimmers from around the world will complete in the event. Shields said that the Friday and Saturday night sessions will be nationally televised on the Universal Sports Network.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development