PHOENIX — It’s sure to be a special year for the annual Pat’s Run, as this week marked the 10th anniversary of the death of NFL player turned Army soldier, Pat Tillman.
Roughly 35,000 runners are expected to flock to Tempe on Saturday to participate in the race, which Michelle McCarthy, director of brand and communication for the Pat Tillman Foundation, said is another best for the race.
“It’s looking to be a sellout, actually, this year,” she said. “We’ve had record numbers come out every year since the race was started in April 2005.”
The race is the primary fundraiser for The Pat Tillman Foundation, which provides scholarships to veterans and their families, McCarthy said. Since 2008 there have been 290 Tillman Military Scholars.
“(The foundation) wanted to honor Pat’s commitment to service, learning and action,” said McCarthy. “He was an athlete, but he was also a scholar. He had a 3.8 GPA when he was at Arizona State University.”
The race is 4.2 miles long and ends at the 42-yard line of Sun Devil Stadium, in honor of jersey number Tillman wore while playing football for ASU.
McCarthy said there are still about 1,000 race bibs available for people looking to get involved, and they can go to Sun Devil Stadium Wednesday, Thursday or Friday to sign up. Each bib costs $42.
The foundation and race are in honor of Pat Tillman, who was killed by friendly fire while serving in Afghanistan on April 22, 2004. Tillman’s decision to leave professional football to enlist in the Army following the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, and his subsequent death in 2004, received much attention across Arizona and the U.S.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas