PHOENIX — Spring is here and the wildlife is coming out looking for food and water.
Valley residents can expect to see bobcats, coyotes, javelina and other wildlife just about anywhere there’s a greenbelt, park, lake, path or golf course. Grey Stafford with the Wildlife World Zoo in Litchfield Park said with our exceptionally dry conditions, the animals will be looking for food and water and they will lose the fear of people just to find it.
“It’s so important for people to secure the trash, especially if you live in the more remote part of town because you don’t want to provide a food source for wildlife,” he said. “When they become habituated to human beings, that’s when it becomes dangerous for everyone.”
Stafford said if you have seen wildlife in the neighborhood then you need to keep a close eye on children and pets.
“We don’t need to be paranoid but we need to be aware that we share the area with wildlife.”
Linda Lambert with Arizona Game and Fish said wild animals are always more active in the springtime but, so far, they haven’t seen a higher number of calls despite the abnormally dry winter and spring.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development