PHOENIX — It was 10 years ago Tuesday that NFL player turned Army solider Pat Tillman was killed in action in Afghanistan.
Tillman played an influential role in the lives of many, especially to those who knew him. Perry Edinger was Tillman’s athletic trainer while Tillman studied at Arizona State University and remained close with him after his graduation. He said he was proud to have known Tillman.
“I feel honored to be known as one of Pat’s friends,” he said. “Because the people Pat hung out with and the people he was friends with, were all very good, very strong people.”
Edinger said Tillman inspired him to be a better person and is part of the reason he now works with children at the Phoenix Children’s Hospital doing pediatric orthopedics.
“He has helped me motivate myself to be a better person every day,” he said. “Ten years later I still have that attitude.”
It will be a quiet reflection for Edinger Tuesday and over the weekend. He said he will participate in Pat’s Run in Tempe on Saturday.
Edinger said he cannot believe how quickly the 10 years has gone by, but said it has allowed those who knew Tillman to celebrate his life.
“There’s a lot more smiles now than there were years ago,” he said. “Less sad reflections, more happy reflections.”
The passing of time is still is difficult for Edinger though, who said he wonders what Tillman would have done if he hadn’t been killed.
“You don’t lose that many memories of him, but you’re just disappointed that he’s been gone that long,” he said. “The things that Pat might have been able to accomplish during these last 10 years might have been really something special.”
Tillman was killed by friendly fire while serving in Afghanistan on April 22, 2004. Tillman’s decision to leave professional football to enlist in the Army following the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, and his subsequent death in 2004 received much attention across Arizona and the U.S.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food