PHOENIX — A bill that would change the way Arizona refers to people with disabilities is awaiting Gov. Jan Brewer’s signature.
The bill would replace such terms as “disabled” on things like parking signs and state statutes.
“It changes it to ‘a person with disability,'” said Rep. Stefanie Mach, the bill’s sponsor, who lost her arm in a car accident when she was a teenager.
She especially wants to get rid of the term “handicapped.”
“I know that a lot of people in the disability community feel that the word is offensive and archaic,” Mach said. “It harkens us back to a time when we used to institutionalize people who had mental or physical impairments.”
The bill sailed through the state Legislature.
“I’m really proud of my colleagues,” Mach said. “(They) unanimously passed it throughout the House and the Senate in every committee.”
Mach is confident Brewer will sign the bill.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments