PHOENIX — A bill that would change the way Arizona refers to people with disabilities is awaiting Gov. Jan Brewer’s signature.
The bill would replace such terms as “disabled” on things like parking signs and state statutes.
“It changes it to ‘a person with disability,'” said Rep. Stefanie Mach, the bill’s sponsor, who lost her arm in a car accident when she was a teenager.
She especially wants to get rid of the term “handicapped.”
“I know that a lot of people in the disability community feel that the word is offensive and archaic,” Mach said. “It harkens us back to a time when we used to institutionalize people who had mental or physical impairments.”
The bill sailed through the state Legislature.
“I’m really proud of my colleagues,” Mach said. “(They) unanimously passed it throughout the House and the Senate in every committee.”
Mach is confident Brewer will sign the bill.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths