PHOENIX — A small nonprofit college in Mesa, Ariz. announced Tuesday that it would close its doors in a few weeks.
Westminster College opened in Mesa in 2012 but is having trouble competing with other larger colleges opening in the city.
“Three years ago, Westminster saw both the need in Mesa and the opportunity for a great partnership with the city,” President Dr. George B. Forsythe said. “Since that time, a number of wonderful colleges and universities have entered Mesa and the Valley of the Sun, and Westminster — as a small, private, non-profit institution — could only be so competitive and still fiscally responsible in this ever-developing, active market.”
The school said the decision was made after fall enrollment numbers did not project a large enough gain to stay open. The school will close at the end of the current semester.
Westminster is working on a plan to help students continue their education.
The Mesa campus was the first expansion in the Missouri-based school’s 163 year history.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas