PHOENIX — A small nonprofit college in Mesa, Ariz. announced Tuesday that it would close its doors in a few weeks.
Westminster College opened in Mesa in 2012 but is having trouble competing with other larger colleges opening in the city.
“Three years ago, Westminster saw both the need in Mesa and the opportunity for a great partnership with the city,” President Dr. George B. Forsythe said. “Since that time, a number of wonderful colleges and universities have entered Mesa and the Valley of the Sun, and Westminster — as a small, private, non-profit institution — could only be so competitive and still fiscally responsible in this ever-developing, active market.”
The school said the decision was made after fall enrollment numbers did not project a large enough gain to stay open. The school will close at the end of the current semester.
Westminster is working on a plan to help students continue their education.
The Mesa campus was the first expansion in the Missouri-based school’s 163 year history.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food