PHOENIX — A huge swath of Arizona will be at critical fire danger levels Tuesday as a dry, windy storm rolls through.
Mark O’Malley with the National Weather Service said the most critical conditions will be along the Colorado River Valley in western Arizona. The area covers from southern Utah to the Mexican border and includes Kingman, Lake Havasu City and Yuma.
“Winds will quickly increase [Tuesday] afternoon,” he said. “We’re expecting speeds of 20 to 30 mph in the western and northern part of the state.”
O’Malley said the combination of gusty winds, low humidity and dry brush could turn a spark into an extremely dangerous wildfire. He said people should limit the use of outdoor power equipment that can generate heat or sparks and don’t toss cigarette butts out the window.
The winds in the Valley are not expected to be as extreme as western Arizona but it will be under a Red Flag Fire Warning beginning at 2 p.m. because of the winds, low humidity and dry fuels. Phoenix has only had an inch of rain this year, two inches below normal.
Prescott, the Grand Canyon and most of northeastern Arizona will be at elevated fire danger levels Tuesday as well.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.