PHOENIX — A huge swath of Arizona will be at critical fire danger levels Tuesday as a dry, windy storm rolls through.
Mark O’Malley with the National Weather Service said the most critical conditions will be along the Colorado River Valley in western Arizona. The area covers from southern Utah to the Mexican border and includes Kingman, Lake Havasu City and Yuma.
“Winds will quickly increase [Tuesday] afternoon,” he said. “We’re expecting speeds of 20 to 30 mph in the western and northern part of the state.”
O’Malley said the combination of gusty winds, low humidity and dry brush could turn a spark into an extremely dangerous wildfire. He said people should limit the use of outdoor power equipment that can generate heat or sparks and don’t toss cigarette butts out the window.
The winds in the Valley are not expected to be as extreme as western Arizona but it will be under a Red Flag Fire Warning beginning at 2 p.m. because of the winds, low humidity and dry fuels. Phoenix has only had an inch of rain this year, two inches below normal.
Prescott, the Grand Canyon and most of northeastern Arizona will be at elevated fire danger levels Tuesday as well.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets