PHOENIX — The Democratic Party has reportedly requested a formal bid from the city of Phoenix to host its 2016 convention.
According to CNN, the official request for proposal was sent to cities late Monday. They have until June 6 to respond.
“While many of the requirements are specific to the various logistical and administrative goals of putting on the Democratic National Convention, we do seek a city that shares our values of equality, inclusion, diversity, respect and dignity,” said [DNC Chair Debbie] Wasserman Schultz, who also serves as a congresswoman from Florida. “And because of the significant security and construction related issues that we will face, we also look for a city with strong relationships with organized labor and those they represent. Our priority is to work with a community that will partner with us as we plan this historic event.”
The event could cost Phoenix as much as $60 million to host, but the returns could be triple that amount.
In an email, Mayor Greg Stanton confirmed his city will submit a bid.
“Phoenix is an ideal host for the national convention, and it’s a great opportunity for us to showcase the vibrancy and diversity of our community,” he said. “Hosting the convention would deliver an important boost to local businesses, and would also put the issues we face in Phoenix every day on the national stage.”
Aside from Phoenix, the Democrats requested formal bids from Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Miami, Nashville, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Salt Lake City.
Earlier this year, Phoenix fell out of favor to host the 2016 Republican National Convention.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development